Friday, February 13, 2015

10 years of photography: Shoot the ugly and use flash

  Light is good. Sunlight is the best (IMHO). But then there are those moments when you really might want to combine the sunlight with a little strobe light. Today for example, was a beautiful sunny day and because it still is kind of wintry the light is pretty nice throughout the day. Then I stumbled across this nice little dead horse. Not really a beautiful subject for a photo, actually quite gross, but still somehow I felt I really have to make a photo of it. During these 10 years I've not tried to shoot only those nice things, but the ugly too. If a piece of poop can be a good subject, then a carcass for sure will do too. Three a clock, even if the light is good, you might get some pretty bad shadows on your subject. In this case the horses rump shadowed its head quite badly. The good thing was that I had my speedlight (old trusty SB-600) with me. Attached it on my D5100 and fired away. Probably the results would have been even better if I would have placed the flash unit on the right side of the dead horse, but sadly the D5100 don't allow me to use my SB-600 off camera, without a sync cord or a radio trigger, which I do not own. So... Why is there a dead horse corpse in the middle of nowhere on a field? I don't have a clue. Whatever the reason, it was the most interesting thing to shoot today.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment