Saturday, December 1, 2012

   I'm not actually a very keen movie maker, but I do sometimes make a clip or two. If I'm sure that I have the image I wanted and there still is time and the action is there, why not, just turn the live view mode on and push play.

  Last spring I photographed lots of Wolf Spiders. There's plenty of them hunting in our garden. One way to identify a male from a female is to look at their pedipalps, that small leg kind of thing between the jaws and the first leg. The males have enlarged pedipalps, in my opinion they sometimes look like boxing gloves, and there in these pouches is its sperm, which the male spider most likely would like to donate to a receptive female. It's time for a courtship dance and this is how it goes...
  This guy wasn't lucky, hes date left before he managed to deliver hes package. Just hope some other female was more impressed of hes dance, drumming and waving.

  Sometimes the Female might be interested of something else. Caught this male in the next clip, when he was furiously trying to make an impression on a female. After a few pics the female hid her self behind the rocks. The male was still waving, but suddenly it stopped. Let's see what happened...
  Amazing things going on in the tiny world of invertebrates.      

No comments:

Post a Comment