Monday, September 17, 2018

Sarajevo (Part 1)

  Last week I had the opportunity to visit Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The schedule was pretty tight and then I caught flu, so the photography part was quite minimal, but I tried to do my best to make at least a few images and to visit a couple places of interest. I'll divide this post in two. This first with some cityscapes and details from the city, and the second post with some urbex and images of urban decay.
  First I'd like to tell my impression of the city. I loved the variety of old and new. Lots of modern glass covered buildings and then many old houses with that beautiful 19th century architecture. Mosques here and there, and specially those minarets made me feel a bit like being in some Middle-east country even if I were in Europe. Visited the old town only once. Lots of tourists around and then the place was crowded with shops selling the same souvenir  stuff shop after an other, so even if it was in someways interesting I didn't find it very authentic, but maybe someone else finds this Bazaar kind of a place very attractive. As a starting point for the WW 1, a must see place is the spot where Gavrilo Princip killed the archduke Franz Ferdinand. The Latin Bridge isn't large, it's built in Roman style, so the architecture is pretty, as an added bonus because of what happened there, you definitely can feel the history alive. There's also lots of small alleys which can be nice for immagination and inspiration. And then there is always the sad reminders of the Bosnian war. Everywhere in the city you can see bullet holes in the building walls, and some bombarded houses here and there. Sad reminders of what people can do to each other. There's much more to see in Sarajevo, I feel I just touched the surface but as sad it is this time I didn't have time for more, maybe next time. Here's a few images...   












Then a couple of landscapaes from the beautiful countryside not very far from Sarajevo...












2 comments: