Friday, May 29, 2015

A lunch high up in the clouds...

  Butterflies are just gorgeous. Who wouldn't want to photograph one? There's lots of species too, and for each season their own. It's not always easy to make an image of one because they are shy, and when you approach they'll fly away. So it's good to be careful when trying to shoot one. Today my whole day was dedicated for photography, so I headed to one of my favorite spots. Lots of wild flowers and insects, and the weather was just perfect, not too hot nor too cold. Walking among the flowers I stumbled across a black-veined white butterfly flying from one flower to another. What a nice subject, a fairly big butterfly sipping nectar from a flower. Just when I started to get my self ready for the shoot, the butterfly suddenly started to shake. A thing I've seen before... a crab spider was faster. Crab spiders are experts in camouflage, they just wait on a flower and change their color accordingly and when a the meal is there they'll hit. Probably the prey won't even understand what hit them. Good for the spider, good for me and bad for the poor butterfly... The spider got a meal, I had something interesting to shoot and... well... poor butterfly.  What really amazes me, is the meal of the the spider. Imagine if you would enjoy a meal from a big (very big) and light plate and you'd have to eat it on the 40th floor outside and in a hard wind. That's exactly what the spider did. The butterfly was large, the wind was blowing and still this white beast was enjoying a lunch. Here's two images, bon apetit...


   

1 comment: