Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Flip it!

  "Flipping" is a term used by field herpers. The word means turning stones and other stuff, even garbage, to see what lies beneath, and the idea is to find snakes, lizards and amphibians. So often you find nothing. Then there are those ant colonies invading places. Sometimes scorpions and other invertebrates, such as beetles are trying to find shelter beneath rocks and sheets of metal. In one of my favorite place there has been this sheet metal piece laying on the ground forever. From time to time I lift it up even if I know that usually there's only ants swarming around under it. During this past week I've lifted this piece of metal up quite a few times and instead of ants I've found black beetles or tiny brown centipedes. After a small walk in the forest today, I came across this same piece of junk again and of course I had to lift it. And what did I find? Two black beetles trying to escape the hard light intruding their home. I placed the cover carefully back, but something drew my attention. First I thought it's a lizard, but instead it was a tiny small newt, probably a smooth newt hiding there. A bit early, but probably this critter had already come to look if the spring has arrived. I placed it on a small rock, made a couple of frames and released it back under the metal lid. So if there is a stone or a piece of junk, flip it! You never know what you might find. Just remember to place the cover carefully back just as it was.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment